Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Kenyan Way Speed #9 -- Dynegy Running Club

warm up, 4 miles threshold, warm down, 27:23, 6:48 pace, Avg. HR = 160, Max HR = 168

I took a day off yesterday because I was busy after work and didn't plan far enough in advance to do my workout in the morning. With my marathon only a few weeks away, I can't afford to make to many lapses like that again.

But it's not that big of a deal because today was a good workout. After a mile warm up I ran four miles at a pace equivalent to my race pace on Sunday. Yes, I said "race". It sort of took me by surprise. I'm going to New Orleans this weekend for a wedding, and I emailed Dave to see if he wanted to run 10 with me on Saturday. He suggested a 10 mile race on Sunday instead.

During today's warm up I ran into a friend from work, Shon, and we ran most of my workout together. Shon is the head of the Dynegy Running Club (DRC). Employees and contractors of Dynegy can pay a minimal membership fee, and in return we receive a running singlet and our entry fees paid for select races over the course of the year. Since I joined the club, Dynegy has sponsored three or four of my races. And because of that, I like to joke that I'm a semi-professional runner. (I'll let you know if that Dynegy shoe contract comes to fruition.)

Shon volunteers his time to scout out and organize Dynegy's participation in races, send motivational emails and keep us abreast of Houston running developments. But most of all Shon provides tremendous support to DRC members. He always has a positive word to share with me about my progress. I've found that runners are a very supportive group, and my fellow members of the Dynegy Running Club are no exception. I'm a proud member of the DRC, and my membership is part of the reason why I enjoy running. So thanks to Shon and the other members of the crew. I'll see you guys on Thursday at the Rice 5k!

6:49, 6:56, 6:45, 6:43

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ηey therе! I know thіѕ is somewhat off-topic but I needeԁ to ask.
Does managing а well-establiѕhed webѕіte such as уouгs take a
mаѕѕive amount ωorκ? I'm completely new to writing a blog however I do write in my journal on a daily basis. I'd likе to ѕtart a blog so I can share my eхperience аnd thoughts online.
Ρleаse let mе knoω if you haνe
any kind of recommenԁatiοns or tіps fоr new asρirіng blοg οwners.
Τhankуou!

Feel frеe tο surf tо my homepage ..
. big green egg cleaning tips

Anonymous said...

Hi, i fеel that i noticеd you visіteԁ mу blog thus i got here to gο baсk the ωant?
.I'm trying to to find issues to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!

my web site :: okc roofers

Anonymous said...

Ϲurrently it aρрears like Movable Type is the bеst blogging platform out there right
nοw. (from what I've read) Is that what you are using on your blog?

Feel free to surf to my web-site; seo dfw