Sunday, September 23, 2007

Yesterday's Recap and Today's Tri

Yesterday:
9:07, 8:37, 8:37, 8:44, 8:51, 8:32, 8:13, 7:58, 7:49, 7:45, 7:22, 7:28, 7:39, 7:40, 7:34, 7:05
Avg pace = 8:03, Pace including water breaks = 8:20, Avg HR = 141, Max HR = 161 (84%)

I ran each of the last nine miles at less than 8 minutes. I'm still wary of determining a marathon goal because I'm intimidated by the distance and I haven't even proved to myself that I can finish 26.2 without walking. But as I stretch out the amount of time where I can maintain 8 minute miles, I'm gaining confidence that I can run an 8 minute pace the whole way for a 3:30 marathon.

Do you recall from yesterday when I mentioned the dog walker? I saw him at mile 10.3. Avg pace through 10.3 = 8:47, Avg pace after 10.3 = 7:35

This graph shows my half-mile times, which were mostly run as negative splits.



OK, I've analyzed that to death. On the opposite end of the analyzing spectrum is what I did today after I drove back from Baton Rouge. I wanted to go for a swim and then a stationary bike ride in the workout room of the apartment complex afterwards. While on the bike I decided to tack on a 3 mile run on the treadmill at the end. I don't use my watch during swimming because of waterproofing issues, and I can't use it inside because it needs a clear line of sight to the satellites in order for any of the GPS functionality to work. As a result I don't really have any data to analyze.

30 minutes swim
1 hour bike
23 minutes running (3 miles, 7:40 pace)

Some comments on each:
Swim -- I was a sub par (40th-50th percentile) competitive swimmer in high school. I wasn't good then, and I'm really bad now. Today I had to to opt for the breast stroke most of the time because I struggled with breathing while doing the Australian Crawl. The one bright spot is that I can still swim underwater for 25 meters without taking a breath. Yes, it's childish, but you have to do something to take the boredom out of swimming.
Bike -- I'm too chicken to bike on streets because of the people out there who drive like me. And the only thing remotely fun about biking in place is being able to watch television. Today's choice was Sunday Night Football. Unfortunately the Cowboys took the Bears to the woodshed. I felt like I was working my butt off, but my heart rate stayed remarkably low. Obviously I'm not much of a cyclist either. I think my swimming and biking ended up being the equilivent of what walking is to running. In other words, I don't think I got much out of it from a fitness perspective.
Run -- I forgot to adjust the incline, but I wasn't out there to set any records so I'm not too concerned. I picked it up the last half mile to about a 5:15 pace. That's probably not the smartest thing to do, but my legs felt fine and I would have quite immediately if I felt anything funny.

No comments: