Saturday, September 1, 2007

Kenyan Way Long Run #4 - Progressive 10 Miles

9.91 miles, 1:18:37, 7:55 Pace, Avg HR = 143, Max HR = 171

The mission today was an out and back 10 mile progressive run, meaning that each mile is supposed to be run progressively faster. It's not too hard to do over three or four or five miles, but anything over that and it gets difficult to maintain the effort. For the most part I was successful today. Check out the route at http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1274958.

The course runs through River Oaks which must be one of the nicest neighborhoods in the United States. I used my weekly joke about half way through the run and pointed to a very large house and told my surrounding running partners that I was going to call it a day since my house was right there. It's not that funny, but I can't get enough of it. Pretty soon I'm going to have to switch groups so I have a fresh audience.

I had my doubts about keeping up with the group this week. Even though I'm in pretty good shape, almost all 20 of the runners in the 3:15 marathon pace group are better athletes than me, and all are more experienced. So it came as no surprise when I started to slip back about 20 feet at mile six. I spotted the water stop ahead, and I figured I could catch up and try to stick it out with them as long as possible. We started out together after the 30 second break, and I started to slip again around mile 7.5. But then I noticed I passed the pacer for the group, and I asked him if he was going to go ahead and level off the pace for the remainder of the run. He jokingly told me it was every man for himself, and he was in survival mode for the rest of the run. I had a choice to make about trying to keep up with the bulk of the group, or running with the pacer. I think I made the right choice and pushed ahead.

One by one I passed people in my group until there were only four ahead of me. I ended up passing one other runner and finished about 10 seconds behind the leader in fourth place. I know it wasn't a race, and I know that competition is supposed to be within yourself, but as a new runner I like to compare myself to my peers in order to monitor my progress. As you may recall from an earlier post, just two weeks ago I couldn't keep up with this group, and this week I finished among the top.

Splits:
10:10, 8:57, 8:22, 8:26, 7:59, 7:20, 7:04, 7:03, 6:50, 6:26 for .91 (7:04 pace)

I wanted to run that last mile faster, but it started raining and the last leg is through puddles, grass and mud, so it wasn't in the cards today. I recouped quickly, and even contemplated another three miles once I got home, but I'm taking a road trip today and decided to forgo the additional miles.

26% Heart Rate Zone 2, 42% zone 3, 30% zone 4. I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't hit zone 5 and I wanted to run a blazingly fast last mile, but it's probably for the best that I didn't try anything crazy in the rain/mud. There's always another run.

I'm ready for some longer runs (12-18 miles) to see if I can maintain an 8:00 pace. I'll dedicate another post to my marathon "goal" time, but as a reference 8:00 minute miles = 3:30 marathon.

2 comments:

Cory said...

I was feeling pretty good about my run today until I saw yours!

Nice run, Mr. Negative Split 10-Miler!

Jonathan said...

Don't let this guy fool you. He ran a strong 16 while I was running my 10. And the weather comment on his blog was right-on. I was bouyed by the burst of cold air, and that's the reason why I was able to kick it up a notch and catch up with everyone instead of fade away.