Sunday, August 26, 2007

Hello World

Welcome to my first blog entry. I know that might be confusing because there are at least 50 posts already, but I pulled a fast one and posted all of those today and backdated the entries. I've been keeping a personal log and wasn't sure if I'd ever publish it, but I finally made the decision to put it online.

Why Now?

Today I signed up for the Dallas White Rock Marathon on December 7, 2007! It's official, I'm going to run a marathon for the first time.



172 days ago I became a runner. I ran a bit over the course of my life but I never enjoyed it and running was just a way to get in shape for other sports. But on March 7, 2007 I took the plunge and joined Power in Motion. My wife (Julie) and I moved to Houston in January of 2007, and after three years of me going to school followed by two years of Julie going to school we found ourselves with some free time. I suggested an Italian class in preparation for our eventual trip to Italy, but Julie wasn't the least bit interested in entering a classroom any time soon. So I signed us up for Power in Motion, a beginner's running program. She's a lifelong runner, and I figured I could put up with ten weeks of running and angle for the Italian class afterwards.

In short, I got hooked. The first week was a mile time trial which assigned us into groups based on our speed. I was in the group that could run a mile, but not three. I stuck with the training schedule even though I was terrible and hated life after mile two. I found myself getting better each successive week, and I moved up at least one group every Wednesday. When I ended up in the fastest group, I was hooked. I had become a runner. After years of joking about runners, I joined their ranks and became someone who enjoys running for its own sake.

At the risk of becoming long-winded, I'll go ahead and call it a night. But this blog will be about my motivations and goals, successes and failures, as well as my training log and anything else that's on my mind.

I hope you find something that interests you, and I encourage you to post any comments you may have.

Incidentally, "Hello World" is a computer reference, and yes, I'm a recovering engineer.

--Jonathan

No comments: