Saturday, November 24, 2007

14 Mile Long Run with Jake

14.04 Miles, 1:50:42, 7:53 pace

Today was on the cold side and wet (44 degrees with rain and wind), but I was scheduled for 14 and I didn't want to miss it. On race day you can't pick your conditions, so I wanted to tough this out as a preparation for potentially poor conditions in Dallas.

My sister Melanie's husband, Jake, joined me for the first half of this run. Melanie and Jake are in town for Thanksgiving, and for a a baby shower for Melanie. I'm scheduled to be an uncle to their child early next year!!

Jake graduated from the Air Force Academy, and was a decorated boxer for their perennially ranked team. A little bit of precipitation and cool temperatures were child's play for him. I've always thought boxing and distance running share a lot of qualities in common -- specifically the need to say "no" to the voices that are telling you to quit.

I picked up the pace on the last couple of miles. It was nice to go out for "only" fourteen miles today, as copared to some of my other long runs.

8:31, 8:24, 8:18, 8:00, 8:13, 8:11, 7:53,
7:51, 7:35, 7:41, 7:38, 7:44, 7:13, 6:43

No comments: