Sunday, November 18, 2007

Building Mental Endurance

30 minutes on the exercise bike before Mass with high RPM (90-100) and moderate resistance (6/10)
6.02 miles, 46:13, 7:40 pace, Avg HR = 135, Max HR = 165 after Mass

It rained all morning. It's been a while since we got the wet stuff, so I guess that's a good thing. But I can't say I was particularly enthralled about running in the rain with 63 degree temperatures. I considered the "dreadmill", but I decided to weather the weather (yes, I know that's not funny) and tough it out. I don't always dislike running in the rain. During the summer it acted as a great relief from the heat. But the problem is that I've grown averse to having wet feet on a run, and I'm also afraid about sliding in mud or skidding on wet pavement.

You never know what you're going to get from the weather on race day, so I wanted to get outside solely to toughen myself up. As it turned out, it wasn't so bad. I had to modify my normal running route, because puddles tend to cover up holes in the Rice/Hermann Park running paths making a knee injury imminent. So I took off down Braeswood Bayou for three miles before turning around and heading back through the streets of Hermann Park.

Braeswood Bayou was swolen to the top of the concrete barrier, and the rapid currents were fascinating to watch as I was running. The water was only a few feet away from my feet (ok, no more double entendre), which gave me a mental pause. A slip could have plunged me into the water. I likely would have been able to navigate out, but I also could have ended up in the Gulf of Mexico. Regardless, I had no intention of completing a triathlon by following up my stationary bike and run with a swim, so I stayed well away from dangerous edge.

Do I sound like a wimp, worrying about injuries from mud, wet concrete, deep puddles and raging currents? (The correct answer is "yes".)

I wish I could say that Braeswood Bayou was a pretty run, but it was pretty much a dump. The bayou overflowed at some point today or last night because a trashy flood line littered the running path. You're surrounded by concrete bridges and canals, and your view is obscured by the grass embankments that prevent flooding once the water exceeds the concrete portion of the bayou. BUT, the concrete running surface is in great shape and I didn't have to worry about cars for long stretches, so I'll probably be back -- just so long as it's during the day because it turns into a homeless hangout after dark. In case you didn't pick it up earlier, I'm risk adverse.

I should have been more tired after a long run yesterday and a moderate bike workout earlier this morning, but my times spoke otherwise. I really pushed the last mile because I was upset with myself for giving into fatigue yesterday over the last two miles.

8:24, 7:59, 8:00, 7:39, 7:24, 6:39

1 comment:

Kevin said...

The scenery gets better the farther west that you go. When I was staying with the folks a few years ago, I would run from S. Rice about 3 miles in either direction and I have ridden my bike to Main.