Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Kenyan Way Speed #12 - One Last Push

AM:6.5 miles (warm-up, 2M, 2x1M, 4x800), 6:19 pace (rest and warm-up excluded), Max HR = 173
PM: About an hour of soccer

Today's speed workout is the last difficult workout I'll have before Dallas. I've already discussed a general laziness that seems to be creeping up on me, and today was no exception. I hit the snooze button a couple of times and I almost talked myself out of going to Kenyan Way today, but I decided to go and give it a half-way effort in lieu of the full workout.

On today's menu was
1) 2 miles at 6:30 pace, 5 minutes rest
2) 2x1 mile at 6:30 pace, 2 minutes rest
3) 4xhalf mile at 6:30 pace, 2 minutes rest

I figured I'd see how I felt and probably cut out the 800s to save some time and effort. But when I got there Sean paired me up with Brian, a fellow runner in the 3:00 marathon group, so I knew I'd be in for the whole workout. I simultaneously felt dread because I had to do the whole workout and relief because I knew I would do the whole workout and not chicken out.

I've run with Brian on a few long runs, and he's a lot faster than me. Running with him certainly makes me better, and because of him being there today I managed to exceed my targets.

Actual:
2M = 13:00 (6:30 pace)
1M = 6:23
1M = 6:20
800 = 3:04
800 = 3:03
800 = 3:02
800 = 3:02

The PM soccer match was a stupid idea because of the possibility of injury, but I went ahead with it anyway and managed to escape without any lingering injuries. I never was very good at soccer, but not playing for the past three years has taken it's toll on what little skills I had.

No comments: