Monday, November 12, 2007

Kenyan Way Hills #6 - Recovery Hills?

AM 3.96 miles (1 mile warm up, 2x10 minutes hills with 5MR, warm down), Max HR = 164, Avg HR = 121
PM 30 minutes on the stationary bike, kept heart rate below 90

As you might have read in the last post, Sean recommended that we skip the hill workout in lieu of a recovery jog. For better or worse I opted against this advice since I planned on taking it really easy on the hills, and because I always pay close attention to my need for recovery and injuries. I would have stopped in a second if anything felt abnormal.

My quadriceps were sore, but the morning hill workout made my legs feel better. And it was good to do the core exercises that I've been neglecting for the past month or two. The highlight of this run is that Sean joined us for the first time I've ever seen. He's a machine getting up those hills, and he made the rest of us look like we were standing still.

After work I hit the stationary bike for a 30 minute spin. I kept the resistance really low because I just wanted to get the blood flowing in the legs and hopefully speed up recovery. I'm not sure if it works this way, but I imagine waste products building up in the muscle tissue after strenuous exercise, and gentle movement helps to cleanse the muscles.

No comments: