Thursday, November 1, 2007

No Race Today

5.46 miles, 42:05, 7:42 pace, Avg HR = 145, Max HR = 178

I worked too late to run the 5k race at Rice. Much of the work I do is daily/weekly/monthly reporting and analysis. All of my other positions were mostly project oriented which allowed me to schedule my work hours around my schedule to some extent. But I don't have that degree of freedom in my current role. It's a bit frustrating to know that every month end, month beginning, and the 4-8 times each month that I close the books I will have little opportunity to get out of the office at an early hour, despite the fact that I could show up at 4AM that morning to make up the time. But to counter that, it can be a rush to know that the information I generate is time sensitive and critical. I like my job and I love being a part of such a great team. I'm just a little sad that I wasn't able to run the 5k today.

I planned on making this my breakout 5k time. I think I've come far enough and I'm in good enough shape to crack 20 minutes, and it would have been nice to do that on my "home territory" where I run 75+% of my miles. The course was allegedly challenging, with many turns, but I heard it would be attracting top talent which would have pushed me even further. It would have been a fun race with strategy and sheer willpower coming into play.

As for my quest for a 20 minute 5k, perhaps it's for the best that I didn't attempt it today at Rice. I always had in mind that I'd do it at the Turkey Trot in Baton Rouge in front of my family. They wouldn't care if I didn't do it, but I'd be upset if I came up short for that one. That's the motivation I'll use when I'm out of gas and want to stop my kick during the last mile of that race.

When I first started running I had one goal -- breaking 20 minutes. Shortly thereafter I added a sub 45 minute 5k at the New Orleans Crescent City Classic (in order to win a poster). And quite a few months later I added this marathon nonsense into the mix. But I've never forgotten my first goal to break 20 minutes. When my willpower is low, or I'm feeling particularly spent during a run, I'll focus on the number 20 (and sometimes even say it out loud) for motivation.

Nevertheless, when I got home I changed into my running clothes and made the best out of the rest of the day. Julie rode alongside of me on her bicycle, and we chatted about our day and our house search, which was very nice. I started out for an easy run but decided to gradually pick up the pace. Since I didn't get to race today, I opened up the throttle for the last four minutes and ran a 6:01 pace to stretch out the legs. It wasn't quite my race kick, but at least I impressed Julie as she struggled to keep up on the bicycle.

Tomorrow I'm carbohydrate loading and resting for my 24 mile long run Birmingham, AL run on Saturday. I think it might be hilly and chilly! It should be fun.

8:40, 7:55, 7:53, 7:38, 7:12, 2:44 for .45 miles (6:04 pace)

No comments: