Sunday, March 16, 2008

Questionable Success

19.7 miles, 2:31:31, 7:41 pace, Max HR = 152, Avg HR = 143, 87 Cadence for mile 10 onward

This is my first long run for the Ogden Marathon, and I'd like to call it an unqualified success. My pace was good, despite occasionally running into 20 MPG wind gusts. My heart rate was low (95% in Zone 3, and the balance in Zone 2), my legs felt strong, and I think I could have run another few miles without slowing significantly.

While running I passed by a couple of bars with outdoor bands and St. Patrick's Day parties taking place. When I got home I showered up and went out with Julie to take in the festivities. But I almost immediately starting feeling bad. I was sick to my stomach and thought I might need a toilet or a garbage can at any moment. I'm not sure what the problem was. It could be the shot blocks that I chewed over the course of my run. They're probably old. It could be lunch beforehand . . . that chicken breast was a week old. It could be dehydration, although I drank from the fountain at least five times during my run and chased the run with about 32 ounces of liquid. Maybe it was the fact that it was a long, tiring weekend with plenty of beer consumed the prior afternoon. Regardless, I cut the night short and went home to sleep it off. I woke up feeling ok from a GI perspective, but my right knee is a bit sore. No big worries there.

This run gave me the confidence that I can run a flat 3:20:00 marathon without much struggle. But Ogden is a downhill marathon, which sounds easier but can actually be much more challenging. I'll have to keep up with my leg exercises to strengthen my quads.

Morning Weight: 144.0
10% body fat

7:55, 7:42, 7:33, 7:32, 7:38,
7:34, 7:37, 7:43, 7:42, 7:35,
7:30, 7:31, 7:35, 7:52, 7:52,
7:52, 7:42, 7:36, 4:34 (0.6 mles, 7:36 pace)

No comments: