Sunday, March 2, 2008

TIR - Leg 35 with Hillarie, Leg 36 with Charlie, Leg 39 with Jean and Andrea, and Eplilogue with the Whole Team

Note: this blog entry is being posted on 3/11/08. You can read the story of the rest of the race below, but I was too tired and occupied to do real-time blogging.

After finishing my legs (18 & 19), Charlie (20) took over followed by Hillarie (21), Tracy (22), Mike (23), Shon (24 & 25), and Tracy again (26). Most of this was a blur for me, as I grabbed a few winks and finished my book (Duel in the Sun.)

I'm not sure when our van finished, but when we did we traded the night running equipment with the other van. We passed the baton over to the other van for the hard core night running, and drove back to Hillarie's house. I drove home and arrived at about 3:30 AM, sleeping only about 30 minutes in the prior 24 hours.

I got a wakeup call from Hillarie at about 6:30 AM, and showered up to join the team at Memorial Park. The night shift was finishing up at Memorial, and the day shift would meet up with them. I asked Hillarie if I could run with her for her leg 35 along the bayou and into down town.

From that point on both vans either shadowed the runners or went ahead to the next stop, so we got to reunite the two halves of our team.

I hopped out of the van mid-way through leg 36 and joined Charlie. I tried to block the head wind, but I'm a smaller guy than him and I'm not sure I did any good. I also joined Jean and Andrea for leg 39 and did my best to block the wind again.

At this point my legs were very tired and I was in dire need of some more sleep. I'm sure our whole team felt the same way.

The epilogue is a quarter mile section of the race where everyone runs together. We crossed it in style, and I gorged myself on a couple of slices of pizza and a Snickers candy bar. After a long weekend, we arrived at the San Jacinto Monument -- no longer "Perfect Strangers" (our team name).

Official Time: 29:52:09
Mixed Open Place: 23/63
Average Pace: 8:48

No comments: