Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Will's Hills 10 - 25 Minutes of Hills

Warm Up, 25 minutes of hills, Warm Down, Max HR = 166

Cory joined me for this workout, as he did last Wednesday and hopes to do for subsequent Wednesdays. He recounts his experience here. If I can plagiarize, errrr, quote him:

Easy run from the YWCA to warm up
25 minutes of hills over a course he laid out (5 ups and downs over xx miles)
4 x slightly downhill strides approx. 35 yards; run backwards uphill then repeat
Easy run back to YWCA to cool down
Core exercises


That pretty much wraps it up for the exercise. He tweaked his ankle. I took it pretty easy, especially for the first couple of laps since my legs are beat and my right knee bothered me a bit. It usually gets better after a bit, and it did, so I pushed the last couple of laps a bit more.

These hill workouts have really made a big difference for me as far as toughening up my mental approach to running. I'm not sure if I'm physically better than most people on hills, or if it's just in my mind because of the placebo affect of doing so many hill workouts. But I tend to pass a lot of people during races if there are any hills. I see them as a strength, and I push forward while many others stall out.

No comments: