Wednesday, April 2, 2008

PIM - Batons - Week 5

5x(3R/W)

The other day a brave soul posted a message to the power in motion yahoo groups email forum. Anyone can subscribe by sending an email to powerinmotion-subscribe@yahoogroups.com .

It's been many many years since,I've ran. The last few years any
excercise I did was either workout dvd's, some basic weights, and some
cardio on an elliptical or treadmill. I found this to be very
challenging and harder than I thought. It's been tough to keep on
track. I am extremely disappointed in how poorly I have been doing.
There is a part of me that screams at myself, not to quit or give up,
to keep going at it even if it's at my snail-like speed. Then I'm not
sure whether to continue for my own fear of failing. I have not been
really keeping up with the homework and i feel like I'm failing myself
but more so failing the PIM's as a group.
I'm not really sure what if anything I'm looking for, but I just wanted
to share.


Even champions at the the top of their respective games have self doubt from time to time. I really identified with this PIMster's email because I have my fair share of self doubt. So I sent the following reply to the group:
The most important thing I ever gained from running is self-discovery.

True, I gained many of the physical benefits normally associated with increased activity, but my stronger awareness of my emotional, physical and spiritual self is by far my greatest accomplishment as a runner. I'm not sure how or why it happened, and I certainly didn't set out with this in mind. It's quite likely that nobody else feels the same way I do. But I have a hunch that the challenges you are experiencing place you well on your patch to self-discovery.

It was extremely difficult for me last year when I started PIM. Much like you, I had self doubt. And just like you, I refused to quit.

We learn more about ourselves when presented with adversity than we would ever learn by taking the path of least resistance. By seeking challenges you explore your limits. By exploring your limits you expand them, and grow as a person.

If you have a moment, read the blog entry I wrote on the eve of the Texas Independence Relay, a relay race covering 204 miles that I ran with eleven other people. In the blog entry I discuss my fear of failure. Fearing failure doesn’t mean you WILL fail unless you allow the fear to stop you from making an attempt. I guess this is my way of telling you that you aren’t alone, and I commend you for sharing your thoughts with us. Keep at it. Adapt your goals if necessary and continue to reach out for help as you did in your email. When all is said and done, our ability to adapt and interact are some of the things that makes us most human.

Run strong,
Jonathan

http://runforspeed.blogspot.com/2008/02/texas-independence-relay-intro.html

No comments: