Sunday, June 29, 2008

Tornado Long Run

12.12 miles, 1:27:54 (plus 4:45 rest), 7:15 pace (7:49 with rest), Max HR = 165, Avg HR = 142 (38% Z4, 43% Z3), 79 degrees, 82% humidity

I ran this run with Francisco today. He tried to tell me that I was pushing him, but I know better. Regardless, we tore it up and posted mostly negative splits along the way. We took three quick water breaks along the bayou, and the weather was as nice as I could have hoped for during this time of the year.

Francisco is a roofer, the same profession as my father. I helped my father out during some summers, and I can promise you that roofing isn't easy. Oftentimes his only crew member, I carried shingles up ladders and picked up trash on re-roofs. As you're going through adolescence, some people tend to remember the first time they surprised themselves with their strength. I can remember the day when I realized I could carry two bundles up the ladder at the same time. Someone once told a story about how he broke two lugs on the wheel of his car by over tightening the lug nuts. That's when he realized that he was getting stronger with age.

Our growth is typically linear, but we tend to view it as discrete steps. If you train your mind to realize that you're always improving then your progress is less likely to be held back by mental constraints. Baby elephants are tethered to a pole at a young age. They aren't able to break free, so eventually they stop trying. As full-strength adults they could easily break the chain or rip up the pole, but their minds are programmed to belive that they can't break free.

To make that remotely related to today's run, I surprised myself with my strength today with the fast pace and relatively low heart rate. Now I need to work on some more endurance. The last four miles were at my goal marathon pace (6:50) or better.

8:55, 8:12, 7:24, 7:24, 7:09, 6:57, 6:54, 7:00, 6:55, 6:37, 6:45, 6:38

-----
TDLY - 6/29/07 - Morning Rice Run, 3.21 miles, 25:26, 7:55 pace, Max HR = 162, Avg HR = 146. No Blog Entry.

No comments: