Sunday, June 15, 2008

Biking in One City, Running in Another

AM Morning Bike Ride along the Baton Rouge Beach Marathon Route, 12.64 miles, 7:07 moving pace, 8:33 including breaks

PM Run in Houston, 8.57 miles, 1:08:18, 7:57 pace, 91 degrees, 52% humidity

I left my shoes at Julie's parents' house, so I couldn't run this morning at my mother's house. So I joined her on a bike ride along the Baton Rouge Beach Marathon. For her it was her longest bike ride in quite some time, but she handled it like a champ. We stopped a couple of times to cool off and hydrate. It was a pleasant experience and a great way to catch up with my mom. Afterwards we picked up one of my two sisters and headed to Lafayette to have lunch with our brother. We seldom have that many of us under one roof at the same time, so it was nice to be able to arrange that.

Even though I'm cutting back my mileage I still want to do a long run every weekend. So I went for a run after the drive back to Houston. It was 5:05PM in the heat of the day, and I wanted to run about 12 miles and I wanted to get it done before sitting down to watch LSU play in the College World Series.

It didn't take me long to reassess my intended 12 miles and cut back. At first I was only going to run 6 miles, and then I decided to run for one hour. But it was brutal. I ran the entire time without water (none along the route) and often without shade. The stretch along Shepard was the worst, particularly crossing over the railroad tracks on the bridge. But I've been wanting to run in the heat for a while now just to see what it's like and to conquer it. Now I know I can do it.

Unfortunately LSU dropped their game to UNC. They play an elimination game on Tuesday.

7:58, 7:43, 7:59, 7:53, 8:13 (bridge), 8:01, 7:56, 7:58, 4:27 for .58 miles (7:40 pace)

-----
TDLY - 6/17/07 - 3.55 miles with hills at the end, 34:35, 9:44 pace. Blog Entry.

No comments: